Spaghetti with Pecorino Romano and Black Pepper
Recipe type: Main Course
- 2½ oz – Very finely grated Italissima Pecorino Romano (3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons – Merchants Spice Black peppercorns
- ½ lb – Italissima Spaghetti
- Toast peppercorns in a dry small skillet over moderately high heat, swirling skillet, until fragrant and peppercorns begin to jump, 2 to 3 minutes. Coarsely crush peppercorns with a mortar and pestle or wrap in a kitchen towel and press on peppercorns with bottom of a heavy skillet.
- Cook spaghetti in a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
- Fill a large glass or ceramic bowl with some hot water to warm bowl. Just before spaghetti is finished cooking, drain bowl but do not dry.
- Reserve ½ cup pasta cooking water, then drain pasta quickly in a colander (do not shake off excess water) and add to warm pasta bowl.
- Sprinkle ¾ cup cheese and 3 tablespoons cooking water evenly over spaghetti and toss quickly. If pasta seems dry, toss with some additional cooking water.
- Divide pasta among 4 plates, then sprinkle with pepper and 2 tablespoons cheese (total). Serve immediately with additional cheese on the side.